Skip to main content

Get Rich on a Salary: A Strategic Approach to Wealth Building

The idea of getting rich is often associated with entrepreneurship, real estate investments, or inheriting family wealth. However, it’s entirely possible to build wealth while working a salaried job. With rising inflation, a volatile economy, and a fluctuating currency, building wealth might seem challenging, but a disciplined and strategic approach can help you grow your wealth steadily.

Here’s are few take aways to get rich in Pakistan while earning a salary:

1. Shift Your Mindset: Pay Yourself First

One of the most important strategies for wealth building is the concept of paying yourself first. Before you pay bills or make any purchases, set aside a portion of your salary for savings and investments. In Pakistan, many salaried employees often prioritize their immediate expenses and overlook savings, which can hinder long-term financial growth.

Set up a system where at least 20-30% of your salary is automatically saved if you are supporting your family and you have responsibilities.

If you are not responsible for any dependents and living with family like a freebee where you don’t have to pay the bill of any kind :D. You have to watch our your personal spendings very critically as you can save up to 70% of your salary! For instance, you are earning 100k a month you can save 70k, you can easily survive on 30k.

Guess how much you will make by the end of year if you are saving the amount in a savings account, around 900k!

There are other options for managing your savings.

Pakistan stock exchange market is one of the less explored and emerging markets in the world.

Guess what, you can start stock investment with just Rs 5k. It’s up to you if you, either you want to wear a 5k dress or invest that 5k note in stocks to multiply in a short span of time.

 

Your spending habits will not only impact your financial position, it also depicts the financial conditions of your country!

1.    Minimize Debt: Avoid Consumer Loans

The second most important thing to keep in mind to be smart with money is AVOID LOANS to meet your personal financial needs! If you are already submerged in personal debts, the first step in getting rich with a salary is to get rid of those as soon as possible. Budget your salary, tighten your spendings for a few months and get rid of debts and save the additional interests you have been paying for years. If you are struggling with debts, you can see this example and adjust the steps with your circumstances.

2. Live Below Your Means

We live in consumerist culture, influenced by social pressures and lifestyle inflation, can make it difficult to save. From extravagant weddings to expensive clothing and gadgets, it’s easy to get caught up in unnecessary spending.

I was searching for my wedding dress back in 2021. I wanted something in pastel color, not too heavy and reasonable in price as per my understating to be spent on a wedding dress. I visited all the famous markets of Karachi. One day I was roaming on Tariq Road. I visited a store named  Makkah, initially they welcomed us, and asked what we wanted I described them what I wanted, so they showed me a dress, when the person showing us dress asked about my budget I told him I don’t want to spend a lot of money on my wedding dress, I told him I will spend no more than 35,000/- . I was stunned listing to his reply, He told me madam, app Ja ke Gulahmed mai dekh laain. I saw nothing but so much greed in their eyes, he could have nicely replied to me he doesn’t have any dress on this budget. It’s not that I could afford it, I never felt right to pay in 6 digits for a dress to be worn for a few hours. I realize how much pressure parents would have on who pays for their children’s weddings. We are living in a country where people spend their whole life earnings on weddings despite being one of the low-income countries I am sharing my story to tell girls and families not to spend hefty amounts when you can get a dress for 25k from a local karigar! A friend of mine designed it, I bought the fabric, for around 3k I guess. My friend knew someone who is a karigar and he agreed to make my dress. My dress was finalized for PKR 25,000 with the same quality and work top brands charge in 6 digits!

To get financially strong, it’s essential to resist the temptation of upgrading your lifestyle and do everything you see in your circle and social media with every salary increase. Instead:

  • Budget carefully: Use apps or simple spreadsheets to track income and expenses. This will help you identify areas where you can cut back. When you put things in writing it gets clearer and easier to track.

3. Utilize Employer Benefits

Many companies in Pakistan offer additional benefits such as Provident Funds, Gratuity, and Pension Schemes. These can act as a financial safety net and, over time, contribute significantly to your long-term savings. Maximize these opportunities by understanding the full scope of your employment benefits and using them to your advantage.

Some companies allow you to withdraw your PF certain amount, you can withdraw the amount and invest it in real state if you have a good amount of provident fund saved with your employer.

4. Invest Wisely: Explore Local Opportunities

In Pakistan, the investment landscape offers several options for salaried individuals looking to grow their wealth. Simply saving isn’t enough—you need your money to work for you.

Consider these investment avenues:

  • Stock Market: As mentioned earlier, you can invest in stocks by registering with any brokerage house such as K trade, CDC, and many other brokerage houses. The Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) has historically provided strong returns. Research stable companies and blue-chip stocks.
  • Invest in Mutual funds:  Investing in PSX through mutual funds like those offered by UBL Funds, Meezan Funds, or Al Meezan Mutual Fund can help diversify your investments with relatively lower risks.
  • Real Estate: While property prices are high, investing in smaller properties or plots in developing areas can yield significant returns.
  • Commodities: you can invest in commodities through PMEX with the same brokerage houses that offer stock investment facilities.
  • Government Bonds: Consider National Saving Schemes (NSS) or Behbood Savings Certificates that offer higher interest rates than standard savings accounts. These are ideal for salaried individuals seeking low-risk investment options.

5. Stay Disciplined: Consistency is Key

Wealth building doesn’t happen overnight, especially on a salary. The key to success is consistency. Regular savings, disciplined investments, and maintaining a balanced lifestyle are what will set you apart in the long run.

By sticking to a disciplined plan and resisting the urge to spend unnecessarily, you can steadily build wealth even in an unpredictable economy like Pakistan’s. The more consistent you are, the sooner you’ll reach your financial goals.

If followed with discipline and commitment, these steps can have your way to financial freedom while working a salaried job in Pakistan.

 

Comments